The 146th Open Championship takes place this week at Royal Birkdale.
Ahead of Thursday's opening round in golf's oldest major, we take a look at the best facts relating to the event with help from our friends at Opta.
- Royal Birkdale is hosting The Open for the 10th time, the fourth-highest tally for an English course after Royal St George's (14), Hoylake (12) and Royal Lytham & St Annes (11).
- Nick Faldo was the last English player to win The Open, that victory coming 25 years ago at Muirfield. The last English player to lift the Claret Jug on English soil was Tony Jacklin, 48 years ago at Lytham.
- Padraig Harrington was the last player to win The Open at Birkdale, triumphing by four shots in 2008. Harrington is also the last golfer to win back-to-back Opens, having also claimed the Claret Jug in 2007. However, since his 2008 triumph at Birkdale, the Irishman has not finished higher than 20th in the tournament.
- Neither of the last two Opens at Birkdale have been won with an under-par score. Mark O'Meara won with an even-par aggregate in 1998, prior to Harrington's three-over total proving enough nine years ago. There has only been one other Open in the last 30 years (the 1999 Championship at Carnoustie) where no player broke par for the tournament.
- Harry Vardon holds the record for most wins at The Open (6), ahead of James Braid, John Henry Taylor, Peter Thomson and Tom Watson (all 5).
- Rory McIlroy - the 2014 Open champion - has four major victories. Among current active golfers, only Tiger Woods (14), Phil Mickelson (5) and Ernie Els (4) can boast as many or more major wins.
- In June, Brooks Koepka became the seventh consecutive first-time major winner, a run that began in August 2015 with Jason Day's US PGA Championship triumph at Whistling Straits.
- Jordan Spieth has finished outside the top 10 in each of his last five majors, that run coming after five consecutive majors in which he had never finished worse than tied fourth.
- Day's missed cut at last month's U.S. Open saw him fail to make the weekend in a major for the first time since the 2012 US PGA. However, the Australian has only one top-20 finish in six Open appearances.
- In his last three majors, world number one Dustin Johnson has missed two cuts and failed to tee it up because of injury at the Masters. He had racked up seven top-10s in his previous nine majors.
- Adam Scott has made the top 10 in four of the last five Opens (2nd in 2012, T-3rd in 2013, T-5th in 2014, T-10th in 2015).
|Westley to make England debut in third Test, Malan also called up|
|Rashford: Lukaku partnership could fire Man Utd to glory|
|Spieth signals early Open intent|
|Nobody goes low here - O´Meara underlines Birkdale challenge|
|Kittel ´inconsolable´ after abandoning Tour de France|
|De Sciglio completes €12m Juventus switch|
|Insigne eyes Scudetto success... and the tattoo to match|
|Mourinho: Manchester United can´t compete with clubs who buy and buy and buy|
|Hansen vows to support Fekitoa if he makes Toulon move|
|Stenson and Spieth up and running at The Open|
|Lewandowski happy to see Aubameyang stay at Dortmund|
|It´s a tie at The Open! Thomas dresses up for Birkdale|
|Wimbledon and French Open matches investigated over possible match-fixing|
|Morata: Conte has shown the most faith in me|
|Royal Birkdale´s first hole a rude awakening for Open hopefuls|
|Neymar signing ´would be good´ for PSG, says Silva|
|Chelsea eyeing all titles this season - Kante|
|Neymar could make PSG Champions League contenders - Emery|
|Former champion O´Meara gets Open under way at Royal Birkdale|
|Cubs win sixth straight, Arenado hits three home runs|
|MLS Review: Red Bulls put five past Earthquakes, Sounders rally from 3-0 down|
|PSG target Neymar and Barca arrive in New York|
|Morata says goodbye to Real Madrid ahead of Chelsea move|
|Mourinho unfazed by Morata´s Chelsea move|
|United States 2 El Salvador 0: Hosts advance to Gold Cup semis|
|Roma 1 Paris Saint-Germain 1 (3-5 pens): Alves makes debut in win|
|Rummenigge names Sanches price as he doubts Milan can meet Bayern demands|
|Messi a machine built for football – Xavi|
|Costa Rica 1 Panama 0: Godoy own goal the difference|
|Kompany: Man Utd star Lukaku believes he´s best in the world|
|Mourinho: Guardiola rivalry has eased|
|Red Sox release Sandoval, Giants open to reunion|
|Lennon steps up Everton return with goal in Twente friendly|
|Griffin ´excited to be back´ with Clippers after signing new deal|
|Goffin survives second-set blip in return from injury|
|Morata ´very happy´ as Chelsea move nears|
|Bolt disappointed to miss out on Van Niekerk challenge|
|Verratti drops agent for Raiola after ´prisoner´ comments|
|Celtic 4 Linfield 0 (6-0 agg): Plain sailing as Sinclair scores twice|
|He´d still be running now if we didn´t take him off! - Klopp impressed by Salah energy|
|Correa undergoes successful thumb surgery|
|Seeds sail through in Bucharest|
|The Open Social Diary: Fans flock to Rahm at Birkdale before heavens open|
|Sammer not convinced by ´limited´ James|
|Morata ready to be Chelsea´s main man? Spain star compared to Costa and Lukaku|
|The Open Diary: Fans flock to see Rahm before the storm|
|F1 to introduce Halo protection system from 2018|
|Aguero going nowhere as Guardiola cools Sanchez talk|
|Manchester derby gets worker bee emoji in tribute to terror victims|
|Chelsea agree terms with Madrid on Morata deal|
|Storms send timely reminder of Birkdale´s lurking danger|
|Barkley set to miss season opener after surgery|
|Roglic goes solo for first Tour win, Froome extends lead as Kittel abandons|
|Panthers name ex-GM Hurney as interim to replace Gettleman|
|Southampton goalkeeper Forster signs new long-term contract|
|Guardiola confirms Manchester City´s Danilo interest|
|England captain Hartley signs new Northampton contract|
|Adrian sends Sullivan reminder after West Ham chairman´s gushing Hart comments|
|Pro12 in ´advanced and positive discussions´ over Cheetahs and Kings inclusion|
|´Gutted´ Snedeker´s Open withdrawal sees Hahn drafted in|
|The Open: Norman fears expectations may hinder Fleetwood|
|McIlroy: Technology narrowing the gap among golf´s elite|
|Golf´s Roger Federer? Dustin Johnson thinks he´s doing ´a pretty good job´|
|Good things are coming - Day eyes return to form at Birkdale|
|Liverpool 2 Crystal Palace 0: Solanke and Origi on target in Hong Kong|
|Kittel abandons Tour de France after crash|
|Murphy completes move to boyhood club Newcastle|
|Make Australian Late Again! Day delayed by President Trump|
|Bayern Munich 1 Arsenal 1 (2-3 pens): Cech and Martinez the heroes in shoot-out win|
|Szczesny completes €12.2m Juventus move|