The 146th Open Championship takes place this week at Royal Birkdale.
Ahead of Thursday's opening round in golf's oldest major, we take a look at the best facts relating to the event with help from our friends at Opta.
- Royal Birkdale is hosting The Open for the 10th time, the fourth-highest tally for an English course after Royal St George's (14), Hoylake (12) and Royal Lytham & St Annes (11).
- Nick Faldo was the last English player to win The Open, that victory coming 25 years ago at Muirfield. The last English player to lift the Claret Jug on English soil was Tony Jacklin, 48 years ago at Lytham.
- Padraig Harrington was the last player to win The Open at Birkdale, triumphing by four shots in 2008. Harrington is also the last golfer to win back-to-back Opens, having also claimed the Claret Jug in 2007. However, since his 2008 triumph at Birkdale, the Irishman has not finished higher than 20th in the tournament.
- Neither of the last two Opens at Birkdale have been won with an under-par score. Mark O'Meara won with an even-par aggregate in 1998, prior to Harrington's three-over total proving enough nine years ago. There has only been one other Open in the last 30 years (the 1999 Championship at Carnoustie) where no player broke par for the tournament.
- Harry Vardon holds the record for most wins at The Open (6), ahead of James Braid, John Henry Taylor, Peter Thomson and Tom Watson (all 5).
- Rory McIlroy - the 2014 Open champion - has four major victories. Among current active golfers, only Tiger Woods (14), Phil Mickelson (5) and Ernie Els (4) can boast as many or more major wins.
- In June, Brooks Koepka became the seventh consecutive first-time major winner, a run that began in August 2015 with Jason Day's US PGA Championship triumph at Whistling Straits.
- Jordan Spieth has finished outside the top 10 in each of his last five majors, that run coming after five consecutive majors in which he had never finished worse than tied fourth.
- Day's missed cut at last month's U.S. Open saw him fail to make the weekend in a major for the first time since the 2012 US PGA. However, the Australian has only one top-20 finish in six Open appearances.
- In his last three majors, world number one Dustin Johnson has missed two cuts and failed to tee it up because of injury at the Masters. He had racked up seven top-10s in his previous nine majors.
- Adam Scott has made the top 10 in four of the last five Opens (2nd in 2012, T-3rd in 2013, T-5th in 2014, T-10th in 2015).
|Neuer cautious over comeback date despite taking positive steps|
|Lehmann slams ´disgraceful´ Newlands abuse|
|Di Maria predicts ´big change´ at PSG after Champions League failure|
|Everton defender Holgate warned for alleged homophobic tweets|
|Russia 0 Brazil 3: Coutinho on target in routine win|
|Icardi must keep performing to earn Argentina recall, says Zanetti|
|Different place, same Zlatan - Ibrahimovic determined to maintain winning DNA with LA Galaxy|
|Injured Cavendish out of Commonwealth Games|
|Experience the key for Juventus in title race, insists Trezeguet|
|Stanikzai plays through the pain to guide Afghanistan to glory|
|Lyon and Paine frustrate Proteas after Morkel joins 300 club|
|Messi lacks Maradona´s charisma, claims Batistuta|
|Usain Bolt claims he´ll return to Dortmund|
|Trezeguet confident Pogba will shine at the World Cup|
|Ibrahimovic departs Europe with remarkable haul of league titles|
|´Very, very happy´ Lanzini loves West Ham amid transfer talk|
|LA Galaxy confirm Ibrahimovic arrival|
|Pressure off soaring Falcons, says Flood|
|Afghanistan edge out Ireland to secure World Cup spot|
|Age no barrier to Messi brilliance - Kluivert|
|Japan 1 Mali 1: Late Nakajima strike earns a draw|
|Record-breaking Stockdale named Six Nations´ top player|
|Warner in verbal altercation with fan following dismissal|
|Uruguay 2 Czech Republic 0: Suarez scores 50th international goal|
|I choose the Galaxy! - Ibrahimovic confirms LA switch|
|Retiring Morkel joins the 300 club|
|Parker accuses Joshua of disrespect towards NZ media|
|Roberto Carlos declares Neymar and Brazil the World Cup favourites|
|Kluivert tells son Justin to snub Manchester United for Barcelona|
|It´s hard to swing it when it´s not round - Anderson unhappy with pink ball|
|Reading appoint former Swansea boss Clement|
|I had to get out of my comfort zone - Goretzka explains Bayern switch|
|Isaako kicks Broncos to golden-point win over Tigers|
|Adelaide United 5 Newcastle Jets 2: Five-star Reds end winless streak|
|Crusaders back to winning ways as Rebels rout Sharks|
|Goals, nutmegs and cheers - Usain Bolt impresses in Borussia Dortmund training|
|Ricciardo given three-place grid penalty|
|Williamson frustrated not to kick on after record-breaking century|
|De Bruyne: Don´t compare me to Messi and Ronaldo|
|Raza apologises for Zimbabwe´s World Cup woe|
|Real Madrid can win the Champions League, Roberto Carlos claims|
|Martinez determined to earn World Cup place|
|Horner and Arrivabene clash over Ferrari´s recruitment from FIA|
|Williamson notches record ton but rain frustrates New Zealand|
|Arthur ´counting the days´ to Barcelona switch|
|English football must address racism, says Southgate|
|Alisson can be world´s best – Taffarel|
|Rockets need OT to beat Pistons, Hornets record sixth biggest win|
|Hamilton contract to be finalised ´soon´, says Wolff|
|Warriors star Curry ´definitely´ wants ownership stake in Panthers|
|Kings´ Kopitar tallies first four-goal game|
|Ter Stegen dismisses ´Messi with gloves´ label|
|Medvedev fumes after win, Shapovalov battles through|
|Buffon: Messi more complete than Ronaldo|
|Neymar is irreplaceable, says Tite|
|Halep joined by Pliskova and Kerber on mixed day for seeds in Miami|
|Rahm joins Johnson in early elimination, McIlroy hits back|
|Red Wings´ Green to undergo cervical spine surgery|
|Conti: Milan much better thanks to Gattuso|
|Show must go on in Hollywood! - Pogba and Mkhitaryan say Ibrahimovic goodbyes|
|Arthur: I´ll find out if Messi is from this planet|
|Barcelona better than Real Madrid even if Neymar signs - Iniesta|
|I haven´t booked a holiday yet - Leno hoping for World Cup call|
|I may be 40 but I´m still Juve´s number one – Buffon bullish over Italy return|
|Italy coach Di Biagio dismisses Raiola rage over Balotelli snub|
|Lopetegui not ruling out Martinez World Cup chances|
|Late Widnes rally sees off Salford|
|Ailing Halep battles past Dodin in Miami|
|Spain defender Ramos targeting Casillas caps record|
|Pogba gets no special treatment from Deschamps|