The 146th Open Championship takes place this week at Royal Birkdale.
Ahead of Thursday's opening round in golf's oldest major, we take a look at the best facts relating to the event with help from our friends at Opta.
- Royal Birkdale is hosting The Open for the 10th time, the fourth-highest tally for an English course after Royal St George's (14), Hoylake (12) and Royal Lytham & St Annes (11).
- Nick Faldo was the last English player to win The Open, that victory coming 25 years ago at Muirfield. The last English player to lift the Claret Jug on English soil was Tony Jacklin, 48 years ago at Lytham.
- Padraig Harrington was the last player to win The Open at Birkdale, triumphing by four shots in 2008. Harrington is also the last golfer to win back-to-back Opens, having also claimed the Claret Jug in 2007. However, since his 2008 triumph at Birkdale, the Irishman has not finished higher than 20th in the tournament.
- Neither of the last two Opens at Birkdale have been won with an under-par score. Mark O'Meara won with an even-par aggregate in 1998, prior to Harrington's three-over total proving enough nine years ago. There has only been one other Open in the last 30 years (the 1999 Championship at Carnoustie) where no player broke par for the tournament.
- Harry Vardon holds the record for most wins at The Open (6), ahead of James Braid, John Henry Taylor, Peter Thomson and Tom Watson (all 5).
- Rory McIlroy - the 2014 Open champion - has four major victories. Among current active golfers, only Tiger Woods (14), Phil Mickelson (5) and Ernie Els (4) can boast as many or more major wins.
- In June, Brooks Koepka became the seventh consecutive first-time major winner, a run that began in August 2015 with Jason Day's US PGA Championship triumph at Whistling Straits.
- Jordan Spieth has finished outside the top 10 in each of his last five majors, that run coming after five consecutive majors in which he had never finished worse than tied fourth.
- Day's missed cut at last month's U.S. Open saw him fail to make the weekend in a major for the first time since the 2012 US PGA. However, the Australian has only one top-20 finish in six Open appearances.
- In his last three majors, world number one Dustin Johnson has missed two cuts and failed to tee it up because of injury at the Masters. He had racked up seven top-10s in his previous nine majors.
- Adam Scott has made the top 10 in four of the last five Opens (2nd in 2012, T-3rd in 2013, T-5th in 2014, T-10th in 2015).
|Imperious Leinster ease into Champions Cup final|
|Wilson backs Wenger for international role|
|West Brom comeback branded ´useless´ by Klopp|
|Injured Kyrgios doubtful for French Open|
|Packers QB Aaron Rodgers ventures into ownership, buys stake in NBA´s Bucks|
|Lewandowski breaks Bundesliga record in Bayern Munich victory|
|Watford 0 Crystal Palace 0: Stalemate edges both sides closer to survival|
|Inter not inferior to Roma and Lazio, Spalletti insists|
|Pogba and Sanchez start for Manchester United at Wembley|
|Gayle fires Kings XI to the top of the table|
|Klopp applauds Ings´ performance|
|Hannover 0 Bayern Munich 3: Lewandowski breaks Bundesliga record|
|Livermore urges West Brom to ´keep fighting´ as relegation looms|
|Eagles give QB Nick Foles a pay rise after Super Bowl win|
|Klopp blames ´dry pitch´ and referee for West Brom draw|
|Cardiff Blues book Challenge Cup final berth|
|Salah finds the net again to equal Premier League scoring record|
|Nadal marches on towards 11th Monte Carlo crown|
|West Brom 2 Liverpool 2: Careless Reds drop points to offer Baggies slim survival hope|
|Roma will be eyeing revenge against Liverpool, warns Ancelotti|
|Bayern hand Bundesliga debut to Lars Lukas Mai|
|Costa should be back for Arsenal second leg, reveals Simeone|
|Wenger could coach Paris Saint-Germain, says Emery|
|Crusaders survive the storm, Chiefs inflict more misery on Reds|
|Wenger changed the face of English football - Dixon|
|Rodgers shrugs off Arsenal talk|
|Knights leave it late against Tigers, Cowboys end winless run|
|Austin track a disaster, says Rossi|
|Clash between top two ´more decisive´ for Napoli, Allegri claims|
|Chongqing sponsor ´positive´ over Iniesta deal|
|Valverde´s quiet crisis management leaves Barca ready to clean up|
|Wallabies centre Horne forced to retire|
|Vieira ´flattered´ by Arsenal link|
|Wenger was sacked by Arsenal, Wright claims|
|LeBron James: I won´t throw my team-mates under the bus|
|Dyche eager to feature in ´legendary´ Wenger´s Emirates farewell|
|Khan eyeing Brook fight later in 2018|
|United and City ´a million miles apart´, says Parker|
|Thorman slams dismal Giants display|
|Pogba must ´take more responsibility´, says Matic|
|Padres pitcher Ross´ no-hit bid steals spotlight|
|Cherry-Evans fined by Sea Eagles|
|Cavaliers blow lead as Raptors, Celtics lose|
|White Sox´s Farquhar faints in dugout, taken to hospital|
|Sporting Kansas City 6 Vancouver Whitecaps 0: Russell stars with hat-trick|
|Winslow fined $15,000 for stepping on Embiid´s mask|
|I don´t fear the challenge – Klopp eager to close gap to City|
|Johnson shares lead as Garcia misses cut in Texas|
|Career backup QB Luke McCown retires at 36|
|Texans ´optimistic´ about Clowney contract extension|
|Everybody wants to play under him – Ozil pays tribute to Wenger|
|Conte defends Chelsea record compared to Mourinho|
|LaLiga strugglers Espanyol show Flores the door|
|Messi is an alien but Sevilla can bring Barcelona back down to Earth, insists Montella|
|Four in a row for Wigan as Saints thrash Huddersfield|
|Reims´ latest vintage secure promotion to Ligue 1|
|Gloucester cruise into Challenge Cup final|
|Quiros claims one-shot lead despite rollercoaster round two|
|Millwall 0 Fulham 3: Sessegnon on target as Jokanovic´s side go second|
|Curry to begin modified practices on Saturday|
|Ancelotti welcomes Arsenal links, praises Wenger decision|
|Nadal produces ´best match of tournament´ as Dimitrov beats doubles partner|
|I think Arsenal would be good for a German coach - Podolski|
|Wilshere, Ramsey, Mertesacker and the best social media reaction to Wenger´s Arsenal departure|
|Watson haunts Royals with Super Kings hundred|
|Selby bracing himself for tough title defence|
|Exeter left ´disappointed´ by Ampadu transfer verdict|
|Froome thrilled with ´perfect´ build-up to Giro|
|Copa del Rey glory a good way to put European exit behind us, says Valverde|
|LMA hails Wenger´s impact at Arsenal|