The 146th Open Championship takes place this week at Royal Birkdale.
Ahead of Thursday's opening round in golf's oldest major, we take a look at the best facts relating to the event with help from our friends at Opta.
- Royal Birkdale is hosting The Open for the 10th time, the fourth-highest tally for an English course after Royal St George's (14), Hoylake (12) and Royal Lytham & St Annes (11).
- Nick Faldo was the last English player to win The Open, that victory coming 25 years ago at Muirfield. The last English player to lift the Claret Jug on English soil was Tony Jacklin, 48 years ago at Lytham.
- Padraig Harrington was the last player to win The Open at Birkdale, triumphing by four shots in 2008. Harrington is also the last golfer to win back-to-back Opens, having also claimed the Claret Jug in 2007. However, since his 2008 triumph at Birkdale, the Irishman has not finished higher than 20th in the tournament.
- Neither of the last two Opens at Birkdale have been won with an under-par score. Mark O'Meara won with an even-par aggregate in 1998, prior to Harrington's three-over total proving enough nine years ago. There has only been one other Open in the last 30 years (the 1999 Championship at Carnoustie) where no player broke par for the tournament.
- Harry Vardon holds the record for most wins at The Open (6), ahead of James Braid, John Henry Taylor, Peter Thomson and Tom Watson (all 5).
- Rory McIlroy - the 2014 Open champion - has four major victories. Among current active golfers, only Tiger Woods (14), Phil Mickelson (5) and Ernie Els (4) can boast as many or more major wins.
- In June, Brooks Koepka became the seventh consecutive first-time major winner, a run that began in August 2015 with Jason Day's US PGA Championship triumph at Whistling Straits.
- Jordan Spieth has finished outside the top 10 in each of his last five majors, that run coming after five consecutive majors in which he had never finished worse than tied fourth.
- Day's missed cut at last month's U.S. Open saw him fail to make the weekend in a major for the first time since the 2012 US PGA. However, the Australian has only one top-20 finish in six Open appearances.
- In his last three majors, world number one Dustin Johnson has missed two cuts and failed to tee it up because of injury at the Masters. He had racked up seven top-10s in his previous nine majors.
- Adam Scott has made the top 10 in four of the last five Opens (2nd in 2012, T-3rd in 2013, T-5th in 2014, T-10th in 2015).
|Jaziri saves eight match points to win in Atlanta|
|Tottenham 2 Roma 3: Kolarov makes debut in thriller|
|Premier League spending unsustainable – Levy|
|Mourinho: I miss Rooney a lot|
|Instagram post was Pique´s ´gut feeling´ over Neymar future|
|Mackay lauds Greller for getting ´most critical yardage ever´|
|Top seeds bow out early in Hamburg|
|Suns guard Brandon Knight out for season with torn ACL|
|Emery unmoved when quizzed on PSG´s pursuit of Neymar|
|Jackson, Olding to be prosecuted in relation to alleged rape|
|Real Madrid´s attack doesn´t need Mbappe to wreak havoc, claims Casemiro|
|Warriors officially confirm new deals for Curry, Durant|
|Balotelli fitter than last season, warns Dante|
|Mata and Herrera provide Manchester United injury boost|
|Orlando capture Dwyer in record swoop|
|Bardsley bolsters Burnley backline options|
|Ibrahimovic still a leader at Old Trafford – Pogba|
|Wozniacki prevails in Bastad, Duan dumped out of Jiangxi Open|
|Thiago Maia joins Brazilian influx at Lille|
|LeBron James refutes report he´d be ´tempted to beat Kyrie Irving´s a**´|
|WATCH: Neymar´s aim defeats Messi and Suarez|
|Hart can help West Ham reach top eight – Hislop|
|Ajax´s Nouri out of intensive care and breathing unaided|
|Mourinho wants a midfielder and winger at Man Utd|
|Peerless Peaty breaks WR twice in one day... with final still to come|
|Mourinho slams UEFA over Bailly ban|
|Payet was a flawed individual – Sullivan|
|Dhawan and Mukund to open for India|
|Conte pleased with Morata cameo|
|F1 Raceweek: New-look Hamilton a cut above in Budapest? Grosjean cooking up a storm|
|Kaka uncertain of Orlando future as he targets MLS play-offs|
|Cassano should be applauded, says Prandelli|
|Sanches seeking to swap Munich for Milan|
|Brown loaned to Brighton after signing Chelsea contract|
|Stokes holds no grudge against Rabada|
|VAR would have ruled out ´Hand of God´ goal, Maradona admits|
|Former Ireland scrum-half O´Leary retires|
|Bordeaux abandon Wellington Silva transfer|
|Joshua-Klitschko II ´pencilled in´ for November 11 - Hearn|
|Kaka backs Bonucci to help Milan rediscover glory days|
|Chelsea 2 Bayern Munich 3: Muller at the double as Bayern bounce back|
|Injured Michu confirms retirement|
|Barrington backing Farrell to inspire England to World Cup glory|
|Neymar will make right decision amid PSG links - Kaka|
|Wagner backs Liverpool to win the league|
|Monaco deny world-record €180m Real Madrid deal for Mbappe – report|
|Higuain: I need to score more in Europe|
|Soliola given five-match ban for Slater hit|
|Devastated Rutherford to miss World Championships|
|Real Madrid ´would be alright´ but Dolberg in no rush to leave Ajax|
|Canada rugby sevens wing Zaruba lands NFL contract|
|Mane, Ings back in full Liverpool training|
|Mahrez would do great things at Roma – Gonalons|
|Sensational Peaty smashes his own world record|
|Australia´s ´ton of talent´ leaves Hayne eyeing Fiji World Cup call|
|Real Madrid want a top-class French striker, Lyon president claims|
|McMahon turns back on Australia for Japan move|
|Bernat has surgery on ankle ligament tear|
|Higuain wants Dybala at Juventus but ´can´t point a gun at his head´|
|Twins, Royals making moves to try catch Indians|
|I want more trophies – Ronaldo confirms Real Madrid stay|
|Outgoing Storm half-back Cronk yet to decide on future|
|Bjorn lauds ´special´ Spieth|
|Aulas: PSG signing Neymar for record fee is risky|
|We see life differently - Rafter responds to Tomic|
|Spieth favourite for US PGA Championship, says Watson|
|Cavs´ Jefferson sympathetic to Irving´s trade mindset|
|LeBron excited by Rose´s expected Cavs move|
|Klopp unfazed by Mourinho, Man United|
|Tyson: McGregor is going to get killed fighting Mayweather|