Manchester United generated the greatest revenue of all clubs in Europe during the 2016 financial year, according to a detailed study carried out by UEFA.
The Premier League giants, playing catch up to neighbours Manchester City on the pitch this season, top that particular table ahead of LaLiga behemoths Barcelona and Real Madrid.
However, United's financial might comes with the caveat of recording the highest net debt on the continent, while City fans can point to the numbers in the argument over who possesses the superior squad among Europe's heavyweights.
Below, we've broken down the salient points from UEFA's extensive review.
UNITED THE BIGGEST KID IN THE PLAYGROUND
- The three-time European champions take their place at the top of the revenue table having recorded a figure of €689million, an increase of €169m from 2015.
- Catalan giants Barcelona are second on the list with €620m, a figure matched by their Clasico rivals Real Madrid.
- Bayern Munich, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester City are the other clubs to record in excess of €500m revenue.
- But it was Arsenal who made the most in gate receipts, recording €135m, with Madrid (€132m) and United (€131m) second and third.
PREMIER LEAGUE WAGES CONTINUE TO SOAR
- For the first time on record, the average wage bill of Premier League clubs was more than double that of the next highest-paying league, the Bundesliga.
- The Premier League's aggregate figure came to a whopping €3.077billion while the average works out at €153.9m. The Bundesliga is next on the list with a mean of €75.3m.
- In terms of individual clubs, Barcelona paid out the highest amount in wages in 2016 at €372m, comfortably more than United (€321m) and Madrid (€307m).
WHAT— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) January 14, 2018
CITY'S EMBARRASSMENT OF RICHES
- Manchester City look nailed on to lift the Premier League trophy at the end of the season and critics would say that should be the least that is expected of Pep Guardiola's side, whose player assets amounted to a European-high €362m in 2016.
- Madrid (€334m) sit second on that list with United (€323m) third. Meanwhile, Barcelona's squad value of €202m sees them down in sixth, behind Chelsea and Liverpool.
- United's net debt of €561m - higher than any other club - accounts for over a third of the total debt in the Premier League (€1.525bn), while the English top flight's average figure of €76.3m is the most across the divisions, above Serie A (€63.6m) and the Turkish Super Lig (€38m).
Feeling proud about this team. We win and lose together, nothing changes. Great attitude. Props to Liverpool for a great game pic.twitter.com/P6MfrWQUd8— Kevin De Bruyne (@DeBruyneKev) January 14, 2018
|Rams v Chiefs moved to LA due to Mexico City field conditions|
|Skriniar discussing new Inter contract, confirms agent|
|Former Barcelona boss Martino named MLS Coach of the Year|
|Bell fails to report to Steelers, will sit out rest of season|
|Federer back on track after dismal Thiem display|
|Udinese appoint Nicola after sacking Velazquez|
|Monaco deny they broke rules regarding youth recruitment|
|Del Bosque, Zidane, Lopetegui - The former Castilla coaches Solari follows into Real Madrid hot seat|
|Ozil rejected ´crazy offers´ from Asia, reveals agent|
|Real Madrid appoint Solari on permanent basis|
|LeVert avoids need for surgery, should return this season|
|Neuer confident despite concerns over Bayern Munich form|
|All I ever wanted to do is win, says Sixers signing Butler|
|Pogba: Coming home to United was the best feeling ever|
|Watson among four signing new Bath deals|
|Susanna Dinnage to replace Scudamore as Premier League chief executive|
|Murray commits to Brighton until 2020|
|Rooney rejected chance of pre-World Cup farewell|
|Impressive Anderson thrashes Nishikori|
|Ozil´s Germany absence a ´pity´, says Sane|
|Rooney: I´ll finish my career in the US|
|McIlroy unsure of 2019 European Tour membership|
|Australian Open dismisses concerns of Federer scheduling bias|
|Hue Jackson joins Bengals staff as ´special assistant´|
|Real Madrid confirm Reguilon injury|
|Higuain handed two-match ban for Juve meltdown|
|Kruis ruled out for England as Jones calls up uncapped quartet|
|A year on from Italy failure, Ventura leaves Chievo after four games|
|Bairstow misses out as unchanged England promote Stokes|
|Recalled Alba denies Luis Enrique bust-up|
|´Unhappy´ Christensen won´t push for Chelsea exit|
|Nadal to make Abu Dhabi comeback in December|
|Taijul helps Bangladesh tighten their grip despite Taylor ton|
|Neymar joining Real Madrid wouldn´t hurt Iniesta|
|It´s just team spirit - Livingston not worried by Durant-Green exchange|
|Trippier out of England squad with groin injury|
|Ex-Sri Lanka international Lokuhettige charged by ICC|
|Former England and Chelsea star Joe Cole retires|
|Nets offer support to LeVert following serious leg injury|
|Panenka proud Sergio Ramos imitates his penalties|
|Liverpool´s Alisson seeks patience to reach potential|
|Anthony Davis leads Pelicans, Clippers hold off Warriors in OT|
|Lindelof rues international break for Man Utd|
|Shaqiri confident in more goals for Liverpool|
|Giants too good for 49ers in crunch time|
|Southgate named honorary Yorkshireman|
|Nicky Butt: Manchester United are low on confidence|
|Criticism of Barcelona star Dembele is overblown - agent|
|Thibodeau discusses Butler trade: We thought this was the best deal for us|
|Acuna, Ohtani win rookie of the year awards|
|LeBron James on Lakers’ early season struggles: ‘I almost cracked’|
|Welbeck has successful second operation on broken ankle|
|UEFA warns FFP cases can be reopened based on ´new information´|
|Foakes to keep England place for second Test|
|WATCH: Rooney looking sharp in England training return|
|Mbappe: Money in football is truly indecent|
|Djokovic back to brilliant best as Isner is beaten|
|Celta Vigo replace Mohamed with Cardoso after Real Madrid defeat|
|Joshua intrigued by Usyk, says Hearn|
|Ibrahimovic beats Rooney to MLS Newcomer award|
|Rams WR Kupp out for season with torn ACL|
|Sturridge denies ever gambling on football following FA charge|
|Koeman understands De Ligt´s Eredivisie frustrations|
|Jimmy Butler trade: 76ers acquire Timberwolves star in blockbuster deal|
|´Improve your attitude´ - Deschamps issues Dembele warning|
|Sturridge charged with misconduct over alleged breach of betting rules|
|Saints sign Marshall following Bryant injury|
|Mendy suffers knee injury, leaves France squad with Lacazette|
|Zverev beats Cilic in error-strewn London battle|
|Rafinha replaces injured Casemiro in Brazil squad|